Who can prepare the plans?
For all commercial uses including apartments a state licensed architect or engineer must prepare the plans. For single family houses and garages anyone can draw the plans. If we are presented a really poor set of plans we can require them to be redone by a professional.

Generally, with a single family dwelling, an engineer may have to size the beams and some of the connections. Generally for basement construction projects, you can draw your own plans. For anything else we may require that a licensed engineer review these plans and stamp them prior to submission to ensure structural integrity. All plans must be drawn to scale and should be no smaller than ¼" = 1'. Plans must include all construction details, including but not limited to electrical layout, window size and location, doors, smoke detectors, framing detail, beam size, engineering, etc.

Show All Answers

1. Why are building permits needed?
2. When is a building permit required?
3. What does a permit cost?
4. Who can prepare the plans?
5. How do I schedule inspections?
6. What information is required on the plans?
7. What are the building codes?